Fix: Lync Client for Mac OSX disconnects within 1 minute of connecting.

This comes second hand from a work college but I figured I should post it since there is nothing on the web about this issue.

Basically as it is described to me, Lync client for Mac OSX (10.6 and 10.7) will connect, show presence, but within one minute it blanks out and disconnects with an error.

Here is a sample error log from a TechNet Forums post where I got the solution from:

2011/12/22 10:46:04.328 [o365] process server certificate from input token failed 

So there isn’t a fix just yet however there is a work around. This seemed to resolve the issue, thanks to "Jonathanpisarczyk" on the forums:

Open Lync Control Panel -> security
in the right pane we can find the authentication methods
Double click on the global setting so that we can edit that.
Uncheck the Enable Certificate Authentication.
Commit the changes.
User will need to signoff and back on.

If you have any other details on resolutions please leave them below in the comments.


UPDATE: Ok here some new info. This fixed us only for a few days then we had the problem again. We then fixed it by re-enabling the certificate based authentication. Some posts claim post CU4 you should keep it enabled. Perhaps turning it off and back on fixes it? My college likes to say "jiggle the toilet handle"


Can not connect to Lync Mobile Client | Access is Denied

So I am so happy Microsoft finally released mobile clients for WP7, Android, and yes even iOS!!!

I was a good admin and installed CU4 and the Mobile Connectivity add-on however it wasn’t working.

First thing to know about troubleshooting is to enable logging on the CLIENT. Its in Help –> About or near it depending on platform. Microsoft did a great job with the logging. One easy button emails everything you need to a email address of your selection.

Second thing is to do a basic test. Using a desktop browser, can you get to (replace with your SIP domain) and be offered a download OR does it give you access is denied message?

If you get accessed denied then you had the same problem I did. Turns out if you don’t use the bootstrap install method for the mobile connectivity pack IIS doesn’t get configured correctly.

While I am not totally sure I “think” what’s missing is in the web.config file this section:

<rule name=”autodiscover rule 1″ enabled=”true” stopProcessing=”true”>
<match url=”(.*)” />
<conditions logicalGrouping=”MatchAll”>
<add input=”{HTTP_HOST}” pattern=”.*lyncdiscover.*” />
<add input=”{REQUEST_URI}” pattern=”Autodiscover/AutodiscoverService.svc/root” negate=”true” />
<action type=”Rewrite” url=”Autodiscover/AutodiscoverService.svc/root” />

See access denied isnt for lync, its for you trying to browse the root directory of IIS. Without the above rule it delivers you to the root.

So anyways thanks to Matthew C. Evans from the comments on this excellent post on how to install Mobile Service:

If that is your problem then just uninstall the mobile component from add / remove programs (its headless don’t be scared when it just vanishes) then follow that post above for using the bootstrap to install the client. Like magic everything started working for me.

I had followed “most” of Microsoft’s directions but I think I hit page down one two many times and skipped the bootstrap method of installing the mobility service. Just IMO the installer should be fixed OR blocked from installing without being done via the bootstrap.

Hope it helps others, I couldn’t find any good posts about this one issue.

Please leave comments if you know anything additional about it.